Are you feeling burnt out from a daily stressful morning commute? Are you struggling to balance a home and family life with a steady career? Are you looking for a way to make work a little easier?
If you answered yes to any of those questions, a work from home customer service job may be just the thing you need to find some balance in your life. Let’s be honest, everyday life can be a hassle and the whole commuting to work in an office life isn’t everyone’s cup of tea.
With a work from home customer service job, you can work in a friendly environment also known as the comfort of your own home. It’s quieter and offers you plenty of flexibility to work at your own pace and set your own schedule. You’ll hopefully have fewer distractions since you’ll be working in a friendly environment and away from a crowded, distraction-filled office. Perhaps best of all, you won’t have to commute. Instead of having to head out early to beat traffic, you can get to your home office in just a few seconds.
Another benefit of a work from home customer service job is that you can make calls and contact clients from a place where you can relax. Surveys have found that more than 60% of people still prefer dealing with salesmen and saleswomen by phone, so a relaxing, quiet environment like your home will allow you to make calls without fear of getting distracted or disrupted.
For folks working in work from home customer service jobs such as selling insurance, there are plenty of things you can do to make things easier, especially if you’re making the transition from working in an office to working at home.
- Make yourself a home office: if you’re working from home as an independent contractor, make sure you set up some kind of home office that works for you. Trying to spread all your work essentials out on the coffee table probably isn’t going to cut it. Find a space in your house to set up a laptop or desktop computer, printer and any other essentials you need. One thing you’re probably going to need to CRM software, which will help you get answer important questions and get quotes for customers in just a few minutes.
- Be prepared: Buying an insurance plan may seem like a cinch for you, but it can be stressful for a customer. Whether you get lots of customers buying from you or get occasional rejections, just keep plugging away at it. If a customer is on the fence, be respectful and answers whatever questions they still have.
- Always ask questions: A work from home customer service job like selling insurance requires you to ask a lot of questions. It’s never save to assume things and ultimately, you’re trying to help your customers determine their needs based on what you’re selling. You want to find out what’s important to them and that’s done by asking questions. Doing so can pay off as you establish rapport with customers. It’s been shown that 78% of consumers have bailed on a transaction or not made an intended purchase because of poor customer service, so it’s important to establish a good working relationship.
- Listen: Asking questions is important, but listening is just as important. The challenge is listening to learn rather than just listening to respond to something a customer said. If a customer trusts you and doesn’t feel you’re being pushy, they’re more likely to buy what you’re selling.
- Don’t be afraid to cater: If you’re talking with a repeat customer, customize the conversation. Review any notes you took from the previous conversation and use the customer’s name as you speak to them. They will feel more comfortable if they feel like they’re speaking to an old friend rather than a salesman.
A work from home customer service job such as in home agent can be a wave of relief and a chance to work with flexible hours. If that’s the career you’re headed for, set up a workable office, establish good relationships with your customers and always be willing to adapt your customer service skills.